Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Love and the Japanese Post Office

With e-mails, text messages and tweets, the day of sitting with pen in hand to write a letter on paper, put it into an envelope, stick on a stamp and post it at the corner may be long gone. In Japan, however, the Post Office has not given up hope for the good old days. On their web site, they maintain a section called “Letter Navigation” which offers point-and-click access to letters of every sort. No simple list, the web site opens with a selection from among 4 categories: “Official”, “Private”, “Ceremonial Occasions”, and “Seasonal Greetings”. Within each of these are subcategories. The category “Private” has no fewer than 19 subcategories with a total of 140 letters, including (under the subcategory “Admonishment / Advice”) a letter to a derelict husband who is ignoring his familial duties by staying out late and drinking too much: helpful support for nosey busybodies. In all, the site provides an incredible 296 letters.
Do you find it hard to ask that special person out on a date? The Japanese Post Office will make it easy for you.
Let’s use Hiroshi Tanaka as an example. Poor Hiroshi is low on personal skills, but there is someone at the office who attracts him, cute Keiko Yamada. He wants to ask her out, but how? What could he say? He goes to the Letter Navigation web site, and under “Private”, subcategory “Engagement / Love”, finds the perfect message. He nervously clicks on “Date Invitation” and begins reading the message.

"Please excuse my rudeness in sending you this letter out of the blue. Actually I have gotten two tickets to a (fill in performer’s name) concert on (fill in month and day) at (fill in time) at (fill in concert hall name). It is a Bach organ recital. I remembered that the other day during our lunch break, you talked about how much you loved music, so ….
At work it is hard to find the private moment to talk directly to you, so I am sending you this letter. If we could go together, it would really make me happy. What is your schedule like? I look forward to your answer."

He copies and pastes it, adds the dates, and names, prints it out and mails it the very next day on his way to work. Who could refuse a date tendered with such obvious sincerity?
Alas, the Japanese Post Office also provides the rejection letter. Keiko likes Hiroshi but has other plans for that day. Shy, she is not sure how to phrase a refusal without hurting poor Hiroshi’s feelings; she knows how awkward he is at the office. She goes to the Japanese Post Office web site and clicks on this response, “Date Invitation (Decline)”.

"Thank you for your letter. It is a wonderful invitation, but I am afraid I cannot accept on account of a previous engagement. I am really sorry. Actually I have already made an appointment to have dinner with old friends from my college days. It has been (fill in number) years since all of us friends have gotten together, so refusing now would be ….
The concert does sound great though; I especially like that kind of music. I really do want to get together with you, but please allow me to refuse this time. If you have another splendid plan in the future, you will invite me again, won’t you? Anyway, I am writing my answer in haste."

She slips it into an envelope and takes it to the Post Office to mail.
In Japan on Valentine’s Day, contrary to usual American practice, women send messages and give chocolates to men. As February 14th approaches, Keiko recalls the sweet invitation she got from Hiroshi to go to the concert. She decides to encourage him with a special Valentine’s Day message, so it’s back to Letter Navigation where she opens this very suitable one, “Valentine’s Day Confession”.

"All year, this is the one day I have been waiting for. It’s Valentine’s Day. So I will be brave and make a confession. I really like (fill in name*). You may be surprised to receive this suddenly from me, but I thought that since today might be my only chance, I would be daring and write to you. The chocolates that I am giving with this letter are not the usual “obligation chocolates”. I am waiting for (fill in name)’s response on White Day, one month from now. A happy response would be great, but to tell the truth, I am a little uncertain about your feelings for me."

Keiko types Hiroshi’s name in the blanks, prints it and includes it along with the Valentine’s Day chocolates which she had bought at her local supermarket. She secretly slips it under some papers on Hiroshi’s desk on Valentine’s Day, and pretends not to notice when he discovers it. When Keiko sees Hiroshi’s delighted smile out of the corner of her eye, she can feel her face starting to blush.
Hiroshi is overjoyed to find Keiko’s Valentine. She really does like him! Better send her a thank-you note. He finds the perfect message right there at the Post Office web site, “Valentine’s Day Gratitude”, and mails it off as soon as he can.

"I really want to thank you for those warm expressions from your heart that I received from you on Valentine’s Day the other day. Not only do you help me out at work all the time, but you have given me some really high-class chocolates as well. I am really thankful for the whisky too; it’s my favorite type. I intend to enjoy the delicious chocolate and whisky immediately! I hope for even more help from you at work in the future! With hasty gratitude…."

White Day is March 14th , one month after Valentine’s Day, when men are supposed to respond to women who have given them Valentine’s Day chocolates. Hiroshi is eager to show his growing feelings for Keiko. A few days before White Day, Hiroshi carefully picks out a box of chocolates at the supermarket and rushes home to his computer. He goes to the Post Office web site and finds just the right message, “White Day”.

"Thank you for the delicious chocolates you gave me on Valentine’s Day. I was also very happy to read your letter. I just can’t thank you enough. Today is White Day, and with these chocolates, I can really show you how I feel. I have always noticed you too. Would it be better to write, “I like you”? It has seemed longer than a month since Valentine’s Day. Just like you, I too have been waiting for this day. Since it seems we share the same feelings towards each other, let’s go on a date one of these days. Do you like musicals? If so, since I can get tickets, won’t you come with me? I am awaiting your response."

He prints the letter, and it is ready to put on Keiko’s desk with the chocolates when she’s not looking!
Keiko had been a little worried after Valentine’s Day when Hiroshi had thanked her for whisky, as she couldn’t remember giving him any. But she had also passed out so many “obligation chocolates” that day —to the office manager, the computer guy, even to that jerk, Sato, who is always coming on to her — she couldn’t really remember which ones she had given Hiroshi. Maybe she had given him the whisky bon-bons. But Hiroshi’s thoughtful White Day note and the lovely chocolates put her mind at ease. Back in her apartment, Keiko flicks on her computer and finds the Post Office’s ideal response to receiving White Day chocolates, “White Day Gratitude”, but instead, on the spur of the moment and her blossoming feelings, decides to accept Hiroshi’s date! Almost bursting with anticipation, Keiko clicks the “Date Invitation (Acceptance)” link, and reads the touching note.

"Thank you so much for your letter. The unexpected invitation made my heart jump with joy. Of course, please let me accompany you. To tell the truth, I love listening to music, but to be frank this will be the first time I have gone to a classical concert since I started working. Not only that, but for me… what can I say about the deeply provocative nature of a Bach organ recital? It can be wonderful, can’t it? Although it is still several days away, already I am in front of my mirror, having fun trying on different outfits I might wear. I am counting the days!"

Her heart throbbing with excitement, Keiko prints it out and rushes it to the Post Office!
At first Hiroshi is surprised that Keiko doesn’t mention anything about the musical, but then he remembers his first date invitation. “Of course!” He smiles to himself, “She really wanted to go with me that day!” The first Bach organ recital date has come and gone, but somehow Hiroshi manages to find another one in a different part of town. “We can go by taxi!” His pulse quickens as he imagines sitting next to Keiko in the back seat of the cab.
Well, one thing leads to another, and before long Hiroshi considers how wonderful it would be to spend the rest of his life with Keiko. But as always, he is at a loss for words. What could he say? Yes! He remembers the Post Office and finds just the right thing, “Marriage Proposal (Application for Marriage)”. He does worry a little about her reaction as he reads the letter.

"It may seem like “just too much” to be writing another letter, but some things are so important, I felt I had to put them down on paper. If you think about it, we have been together now for (fill in number) year. All the moments we spend together seem to go in a flash, but these (fill in number) year have been very fulfilling for me. I am always thinking of how I would like these moments to last my whole life. In other words, I want you to marry me.
How do you feel about this? Since I have not properly confirmed your feelings before in words, it would be wrong to say that I don’t have some anxiety about your response, but I believe that through our time together, I have more than adequately expressed my feelings towards you. I promise in good faith that I will take care of you in every way.
Well, I am sure that thinking of marriage makes your head spin, but please be in no hurry to respond. Take your time and think about it before you make your decision. I await good news from you."

Full of anxiety about how Keiko might react, Hiroshi walks slowly and takes a round-about-route to the Post Office, thinking, “Shall I mail it or not?” Suddenly he is standing in front of the post box and on the impulse of love, slides his letter into the slot.
Keiko comes home from work and finds Hiroshi’s letter in her mailbox. What could he be writing? She carefully cuts the envelope open. As she reads Hiroshi’s proposal, Keiko bursts with happiness. Blinking away her tears and with trembling fingers, she types in the fateful URL of the Letter Navigation page. She clicks on the “Marriage Proposal (Consent)” link and reads the happy letter of acceptance.

"(fill in name), thank you for your heartfelt letter. I gladly accept (fill in name)’s offer of marriage. I have long been waiting for (fill in name) to say the words of proposal, “Let’s get married”. I believe in (fill in name)’s character. Therefore I have no anxiety about a new life together with (fill in name). Let’s cooperate together to make an enjoyable family life!
Well, what sort of dress should I wear at the reception? (fill in name) will help in the dress selection, right? I am so thrilled by your proposal. Even though I cannot express myself well, because (fill in name) sent me such a bold letter, I have to say one more time, 'Thank you!'"

She rushes to the Post Office just in time to post the letter before they close. Hiroshi should get it as early as the next day!
A few days later in Hiroshi’s small apartment, the two lovers sit in the warm glow of the computer screen and choose the best announcement for their engagement. Blushing, Keiko points out that they can find birth announcements there too.
And, as the story goes — with the help of Japan Post— they should live happily ever after…, but if not, Japan Post offers a letter to ask a friend for counsel, Category: “Private”; Subcategory: “Advice”; Letter: “Divorce”. Nothing should be left to chance.

*Translation note: Japanese can refer to each other in the third person by name. For example, “How does Hiroshi feel about that?” = “How do you feel about that?”

Acknowledgement:
With thanks to Japan Post for the permission to translate their letters
http://www.post.japanpost.jp/navi/private/i-priv-m.html

2 comments: