Monday, December 5, 2011

Across the "Event Boundary" Backwards

In previous posts, I have tried to provide useful advice to seniors on how to stay forever young, how not to appear dead, and mental health. Wearing youthful garb and learning how to handcuff yourself to your comfy seat so that your relatives don't cart you off to the morgue are easy to do, but the mental health issue is one that plagues us on a daily basis.
How many of you "seniors" ("senior" is the new "geezer") have had this experience?
You are sitting in your armchair when it suddenly hits you that you would like a glass of wine. So, you get up and trudge to the kitchen – only about 4 meters (that's eight fluid ounces in the US system) away – and then stand there, wondering what you are doing in the kitchen.
I can hear you asking, "Why DO we get up from our armchairs and shuffle into the kitchen and then stand there and look around the room like we have entered another dimension?"
An excellent question! And you will be delighted to know, that apparently it is not ALL due to your fading mental capacities!
That's right. In a way you HAVE entered another dimension. Something that psychologists call an "event boundary" is also to blame.
The simple act of walking through a doorway separates the activities in your mind. On one side of the doorway your mind is thinking, "Wine.... wine... wine!" but by passing through that doorway, your mind compartmentalizes the wine thoughts and leaves them somewhere, probably in the washing machine, and then takes up a new thought as you enter the kitchen, "WTF am I doing in here?"
What can we do about this debilitating phenomenon to prevent us from looking completely senile as we scuff through doors and wake up in a new reality due to "boundary events"?
Yours truly – ever eager to roll back the years and delay geezerdom – has found the perfect solution.
Apparently walking backward is very good for your brain. In a nutshell, it provides a way of breaking routine, keeping your attention, and engaging your senses in a novel way, all of which contribute to good mental health! Using this technique while exercising has been proven in research studies to be helpful, but what I am proposing here is that you incorporate this into your everyday routine.
I can hear you all saying, "He's lost it! No way am I going to walk backwards at work! Never mind trying to get a date doing that. Sheesh!"
That is not what I am proposing.
No.
What I am suggesting is that when you are confronted with an "event boundary" like a doorway at home, you turn around and pass through it backwards. In this way, you can avoid the "senior" blanking-out embarrassment and present a more youthful aspect to those who are watching you closely for signs that you need to go the nursing home.
Not one to only give advice to others, I tested this new technique out myself. Whenever I wanted a glass of wine, I would stand up and walk towards the kitchen normally, and then turn around backwards when I crossed between the rooms. Each and every time I was able to remember that it was wine I was after!*
With this new advance in mental health maintenance, I hope that you can continue to live a meaningful and useful life as you age.

- - - - - - - - - -
*WARNING: While mental acuity is improved by walking backwards through the "event boundaries", physical coordination may be affected by the wine you manage to drink as a result. Stumbling, and dragging the dish rack on top of you as you fall down, and breaking someone's favorite mug is MUCH easier while walking backwards.
Just to let you know.

4 comments:

  1. and what is the phenomenon if you live in an open plan space?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's not exactly fair if you used wine as your control object in the experiment since you probably have a high percentage of trips to the kitchen devoted to that particular imbibant (yes, that's my own word). I would suggest trying again the next time you are looking for, say, a spoonful of baking soda or that last pickle that has been sitting in the jar in the fridge for God knows how long.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an excellent way to begin to establish a new neural pathway!! While not yet in the "senior" stage of life (wait...isn't 60 the "new" 40??)I am a huge proponent of the development of new pathways and new convolutions :)
    I applaud your efforts and will drink to them (merlot, shiraz, pino grigio..etc etc)
    Pumpkin's Friend

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you live in an open space, it's called "senior moment". No excuses! And yes (@Marie) I will give that I try. I will try to remember a pickle or something when I go to get some wine.

    ReplyDelete